Welcome
How to Register your case with Justice For Families: Click Here

Information to be remembered when discussing your case: Click Here

Welcome to Justice For Families. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Web Links:

Justice For Families website (For information about Justice For Families)

John Hemming (MP) Blog (Contains interesting posts about Child protection quite often)

John Hemming (MP) Web Site (Contains information about his constituency and news articles some relating to Child protection)

Complaints against Social Services

This forum is for asking questions about your own case. Please do not use any real names here for yourself or your children.

Complaints against Social Services

Postby Hugh Jaleak » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:14 pm

Could anyone advise if there is a procedure for registering a formal complaint against Social Services? (And getting an unbiased investigation?) Getting heartily sick of being ignored, they're unwilling to answer the simplest of questions, and we are getting increasingly concerned for the welfare of my partner's sons who are in care.

My partner's daughter is now spending her time split between us and supported lodgings. The lady providing the supported lodgings is a former social worker, and after attending a contact with the daughter and her brothers has herself raised concerns with us about the ability of the carers to cope with the 2 boys, she really feels the carers are way out of their depth!

We want someone to listen and if nothing else, make SS wake up to their responsibilities, at present they are just doing as they like, legal responsibilities are pushed aside if it doesnt suit them, with the only feedback we get coming indirectly from the SW via the daughters carer. That being "If she (mum) wants things to change then she needs to go to court." My partner is currently unemployed and whilst we believe entitled to legal aid, the DWP (or whoever it is) has told the legal aid people she is not in reciept of any benefit! (Despite being unemployed/sick for the last 12 months......)
Hugh Jaleak

Re: Complaints against Social Services

Postby gadily » Wed Feb 23, 2011 11:51 am

there is a formal complaints system within ss that you have to use

http://justiceforfamilies.freeforums.org/forced-adoption-breakdown-foster-care-t4168-15.html

goto stage 2 of the complaint proceeder as this takes it out of area managers hands
you are better having the truth in the first place
i dont see the point in lieing

would i fight for the uk if it went to war, NO the government can go to hell after what ive been put through
gadily

Postby ROBBED » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:31 am

Dont bother with Ombudsman.
Sure I done the one above and got a reply with some crap saying they will take a look but as far as im aware nothing that investigates.
They need like a internal affaires social workers that do there job properly but also report and investigate the 7/10 dodgey ones.
The hole system needs a revamp and the people who designed the adoption targets shot of in fact the hole system needs a revamp as well as the courts/laws.

You complain about your social worker to manager and letter gets binned,you complain to area office your lucky if they get it or it gets binned,complain to MP they say some thing comforting but nothing gets done.

I realy thought ombusman would investigate but got some rubbish about they think the decisions were right (no proof no evidence,not even my side of the story) quite funny how they come to that decision with out hearing the full extent of my side of the story.

I would say go in face to face and speak to manager,dont bother with head of conference (they do what ss want) if no joy try get face to face with area manager,no joy face defeat is what ive found.

Even solicitors have trouble putting in complaints,systems corrupt to the core but people chose to ignore as were a small minority of this big ass corruption.

All up each other arses mate,a work together for the Government not for us which I thought the Government was for us the public,apparently were aliens and not the public.

Being a man involve with ss is very hard,I had some harsh treatment,hence the name ROBBED which is exactly how I feel with my case and life with ss.

Just had a look at
forced-adoption-breakdown-foster-care-t4168-15.html
Same thing your asking the same system to make a decision against there own system!!!!
Hilerious,I wonder how many things actually get done,I suspect a new social worker but from from the same team!!!!and manager so there for have the same goals set out threw that manager.funny stuff
ROBBED

Postby mac1 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:56 am

Write a letter titles "formal complaint". Address the letter to the manager of the social work team in the area.

Present the points that you identify as a problem and why it's a problem. Say how the problems affect the child, their siblings and you. It's not usually best to say what you feel the outcome should be, but it's a good idea to try to offer a potential solution.

Put the complaints into individual sections, so the individual points are easy to isolate and identify.

Ask the manager to investigate and respond back to you with their findings. Ask for confirmation that they got your complaint and ask for an indication of when the complaint might be resolved.
mac1

Postby Hugh Jaleak » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:07 am

We have engaged the services of our Ward Councillor who has written to the area manager of SS asking for some answers, waiting on a reply from SS. The Councillor actually took the trouble to come to the door and speak with my partner, impressions were he is not impressed..... He sits on the Social Care committee, so i'm hoping his involvement will rattle SS into actually responding, though no doubt it'll be a barrage of excuses and lies....

We have a meeting with our M.P. soon, after writing to him he wrote back requesting we made an appointment to discuss matters personally with him, see where that leads.

Solicitor is banging her head against a brick wall, SS simply wont respond to any of her letters. I think she is trying to get a Court date and let them answer in Court.

SS cant tell the truth to save their lives, we've just had a letter from the IRO, saying the children have asked for their mother not to be involved when we know damn well this is NOT the case. Snotty letter going back to IRO shortly! SS cant even acknowlege the mothers legal rights as it doesnt suit their case, Mum has done exactly the opposite of the predictions the Psychologist claimed she would, they cant find any dirt on me and simply cannot justify their case, so are putting up a wall of silence hoping we'll go away. We wont!
Hugh Jaleak

Postby hopelost » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:20 pm

I have just begun a complaint, and there is a complaints process that must be followed. Stage one must be in writing (I emailed). My complaint went to the chief executive of my local council. I received a reply which acknowledged receipt of the complaint and that it would be passed to the appropriate person. I then received an email from appropriate person saying they were investigating. I would honestly expect stage one complaints to fall on deaf ears and be rejected. Stage two takes it further up the chain and there is less chance it can be ignored. That said unless it is watertight and you can prove your claims, then stage three will be needed where the ombudsman is involved.

Please bare in mind, all the people who deal with your complaints are government paid officials, so don't hold your breath, but there is a tribunal where you can also put forward your complaint, and they MUST investigate if your complaint was dealt with correctly. Sadly, for many complaints going through the system SS win and boost the power they hold over families, but don't ever not complain, to not, gives them licence to do what the hell they like at a terrible cost to families, and more importantly innocent children.
hopelost

Postby fuey1 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 10:23 am

I too am mid complaint, and like most of you have lost faith in the complaints procedure.

I have emails between my ex partner ( convicted sex offender) and SW manager proving collusion between the LA and ex partner proving they sought to deliberately discredit me, within the emails is contained proof they simply sought to discredit as " no evidence was required".

Of course the complaints team seemed pre-occupied with the fact I had obtained these emails, and how they had come into my possession.

Maybe I should have employed the services of a private detective at the cost of thousands of pounds, like they did......

good luck all those with complaints on going.
fuey1

Postby ROBBED » Fri Mar 25, 2011 7:20 pm

Hugh Jaleak wrote:We have engaged the services of our Ward Councillor who has written to the area manager of SS asking for some answers, waiting on a reply from SS. The Councillor actually took the trouble to come to the door and speak with my partner, impressions were he is not impressed..... He sits on the Social Care committee, so i'm hoping his involvement will rattle SS into actually responding, though no doubt it'll be a barrage of excuses and lies....

We have a meeting with our M.P. soon, after writing to him he wrote back requesting we made an appointment to discuss matters personally with him, see where that leads.

Solicitor is banging her head against a brick wall, SS simply wont respond to any of her letters. I think she is trying to get a Court date and let them answer in Court.

SS cant tell the truth to save their lives, we've just had a letter from the IRO, saying the children have asked for their mother not to be involved when we know damn well this is NOT the case. Snotty letter going back to IRO shortly! SS cant even acknowlege the mothers legal rights as it doesnt suit their case, Mum has done exactly the opposite of the predictions the Psychologist claimed she would, they cant find any dirt on me and simply cannot justify their case, so are putting up a wall of silence hoping we'll go away. We wont!

Your solicitor might not even get a court date.
Be prepared for a un expected phone call saying (why aint you in court!!!!!!!!)
And then they get a interim care order as you wernt in court.
Amazing what they can get away with and they wil simply say you couldnt even be bothered to come court!!
you argue that to judge on next appearance and they say its down to you to find out when your in court.
If you do happen to be able to get to court,you will be that rushed that you have no solicitor,that will get thrown in your face as (look how un organised he is,no solicitor,not knowing court date and time,coming late and so on) and then on top of that you wont have a clue what the hearing is for and if you have to fight any thing and may well walk out with some strict contact arrangement,interim care order and some other crap.
2 weeks later in the post you may get told what happened and why or may be not but from that day MAKE sure you know the dates and what the hearing is for.

I feel for you as I went threw similar treatment and lost my son.
ROBBED

Postby TC » Sun Apr 03, 2011 4:29 pm

I have had every complaint upheld. They can not argue against you if you prove professional incompetency.

TC
TC

Postby jmac » Wed Apr 06, 2011 7:58 pm

I have used the formal complaints process for my area and got nowhere. Each area has its own particular process it seems. I got stuck at stage three when I requested a review of my complaint. There was no response. I then proceeded to the Ombudsman because the complaints process is time limited. I later discovered that the Ombudsman passed all my information on to Social Services although they denied they did this. But it did mean The Council set a date for a review.

On the first date I turned up and was told the review meeting was cancelled. I am the only one who was not informed. On the second date I was not informed and found out later that a meeting went ahead without me. I never got the letter they claimed they sent. I asked if they had evidence for posting the letter. No answer. The only complaint that was upheld in my absence was that there had been an undue delay in dealing with my complaint but systems were now in place to rectify this situation.

I am now awaiting the report from the review meeting - six months and no report, in order that I can push the complaint back up to the Ombudsman. So much for systems now being in place. It is a farce. Meanwhile children are languishing in a bad situation and I cannot get this complaint dealt with. One complaint, two and a half years have passed and I am still stuck.
jmac

Postby mac1 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 6:07 pm

jmac wrote: I later discovered that the Ombudsman passed all my information on to Social Services although they denied they did this. But it did mean The Council set a date for a review.

What happens when we get your complaint
When we receive your complaint we will usually write to you to acknowledge it within five working days explaining what will happen next. If you do not hear from us within that time, please telephone our Advice Team. (We may send you an equality monitoring form to fill in at this point. For more information on our monitoring, see our FAQs. There is also further information in our Annual Report - see 'chapter 5' in the downloads box on the right.)

We will first check to see if you have made a complaint to the council first and whether the council has had a reasonable chance to deal with it. Complaints usually needs to go though all stages of a council's complaints procedure before we can consider them. If yours has not, we will send it to the council and write to you to tell you.

In other cases your complaint will be allocated to an investigator. Investigators take most decisions on the Ombudsman’s behalf. The investigator will contact you as soon as possible after receiving your complaint to find out more about it, what you are hoping to achieve and to explain what will happen next. In most cases the investigator will try to get in touch with you by telephone, so if possible please give us a contact number where you can be reached during the day.

Checking the law
First we have to decide whether the law allows us to investigate your complaint. Usually we can make this decision quickly, but sometimes we need more information from you or the council involved.

If the law does not allow us to investigate your complaint, or if we decide that the injustice to you is only slight, we will tell you as soon as we can. We will usually give you a chance to comment before we make a final decision, unless it is clear from the start that the law does not allow us to consider your complaint.

We must tell councils about all complaints made against them, even if we decide not to investigate. We will send a copy of your complaint and our decision letter to the council. We may send the council copies of any documents you provide in support of your complaint.

We cannot stop a council taking action while we investigate your complaint.

http://www.lgo.org.uk/making-a-complain ... complaint/
mac1

Postby Hugh Jaleak » Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:18 pm

Just to update. (If anyone's interested!) Spoken to M.P., he's not happy. He's firing off a letter to council CEO asking why our questions have not been answered. In his words, "they are not unreasonable requests!"

Ward Councillor managed to get us a response from someone further up the chain, who offered to meet with us "to discuss the issues raised". We've written back accepting the invitation, surprise, surprise. SS have now gone quiet....

Recent LAC review concerning eldest in care (Now 17 1/2 years of age). She's living with us now full time, SS seemed to accept there wasnt much they could do to stop this, although they weren't happy. New IRO at recent review, what a breath of fresh air! My stepdaughter, (i'll call her X) is going to court to get her care order discharged. SS dont like it (weakens their case for X's siblings), and want X to remain in care til she's 18. IRO asks about me, my CRB check is fine. X is fine. Mum is fine. Basically, X is safe, well and happy. So he turns to SW and tells her to tell legal team not to contest it, and not waste any more taxpayers money fighting it! SW's face was a picture I am told! :lol:
Hugh Jaleak

Postby mac1 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 9:53 am

It's good to read about good news.

I do have to wonder. SS are not happy about the child retuning home, but what are they not happy about? The child being happier at home (because they are less happy in care), them loosing control of a child in their care, their budget for looking after the child being lost (and the financial headache that causes) or the parents getting care of the child (and being happy) which is opposite of what the SS wanted.
mac1

Postby Hugh Jaleak » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:24 pm

Thankyou mac1.

Personally I think it is the latter, SS have been left with egg on their faces. Mum has not gone along with the profile their Psychologist painted, (she's left (and not returned to) the alleged abuser, not got into a violent relationship, basically not done anything it was claimed she would in Court!), and we're causing them a large headache by putting everything in writing. They cant (or wont) answer our questions, so are just ignoring us. We were offered a meeting to discuss matters, so we wrote back to accept. Still waiting for a date! Hence our M.P is taking matters to the LA CEO to demand they speak to us. (Hopefully!)

The only ally SS have seems to be the childrens eldest sister, who is hell bent on stopping her siblings from returning home, purely out of sheer spite for her mother. However she can be proved to be a compulsive liar, and with other developments taking place as a result of her actions, SS cant really rely on her evidence.

SS claim the 2 youngest siblings "do not wish for their mother to be present at the LAC reviews." Both children deny this, we believe it is the carers who dont want mum at their address. The new IRO was horrified Mum has never been invited to the reviews (this was her first!), and said, "Thats fine. If the carers dont want you at their home, then the review can be held at a suitably neutral venue. In their home town should they not wish to travel." Carers claim they dont like driving (unsure if they even have a car) yet are able to travel abroad frequently to visit his family, and to Devon to visit her mother! Although travelling 20 miles for family contacts seems a problem!

Going to really upset the apple cart next contact. Solicitor has been through care order with a fine tooth comb, there is NO order regarding contact. Therefore she has advised Mum to supply the children with a mobile phone and tell them (in front of SW and carers) there is nothing preventing them from speaking to her. See how long it takes for the phone to be confiscated...... (I give it an hour.)
Hugh Jaleak

Postby mac1 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:22 am

I think what you mean to say is that there is no order saying "no contact". Which means that there is nothing to bar contact from happening. A care order is made based on the care plan meeting the needs of the child and contact would be a need of a child. The contact arrangement is not part of the court order but the court order is made based on the care plan being "accepted" by the Judge. If a party did not agree to the care plan, they would have to make that objection in court.
mac1

Next

Return to talk about your own case